Peerless Ultra Soft Shot is designed to replace glass beads, plastic media, zinc shot and soft abrasives in non-destructive blasting and polishing applications. The hardness of Ultra Soft Shot is <30 HRC, typically between 12 and 15 HRC. Unlike other so-called soft products, Ultra Soft Shot will not work-harden once in use but remains at the same hardness throughout its useful life.
What is Peerless Ultra Soft Shot?
Peerless Ultra Soft Shot is a metallurgical enhanced, soft steel developed for use in abrasive blasting applications where little or no damage or change to the surface can be tolerated. Peerless Ultra Soft Shot is produced in our own Detroit plant using a proprietary manufacturing process derived from our powdered metal production. Peerless Ultra Soft Shot can be used in conventional blast cleaning machines, both airblast and airless, with no equipment changes or special adjustments to the blast machine. Because this media is so very soft, it nearly eliminates wear and tear on blast machines and their components. Because Ultra Soft Shot can be used in standard blast machines, this allows you to mass finish parts that are now being finished one-at-a-time in an airblast cabinet.
How does Peerless Ultra Soft Shot compare to other abrasives?
|Glass Beads||50-60 Rc (5-7 Mohs)||5-8 cycles||2.6g/cc|
|SAE Steel Shot||42-65 Rc (6-8 Mohs)||2500-3500 cycles||7.4g/cc|
|Stainless Steel Shot||20 Rc (work hardens to 60 Rc)||3500-4500 cycles||7.0g/cc|
|Plastic Media||3-4 Mohs||4-6 cycles||1.5g/cc|
|Glass Beads||50-65 Rc (5-7 Mohs)||300-500 cycles||3.7g/cc|
|Peerless Ultra Soft Shot||<30RC ( 3-3.5 Mohs)||6000-7000 cycles||7.7g/cc|
The advantages of using Peerless Ultra Soft Shot are:
- faster cleaning.
- less abrasion to surface.
- longer media life.
- can be used in airless blast equipment.
- reduced blast waste.
- reduced ferrous impingement.
- no wear & tear on blast machine.
- no equipment adjustments needed.
- a less dusty atmosphere for improved visibility in the blast cabinet.
What Peerless Ultra Soft Shot sizes are available?
Peerless Ultra Soft Shot is available in many sizes, from US 70 to US 780, however the most popular sizes are US 70, US 90, US 110, US 170, US 230 and US 280. Special shot and grit sizes can be produced to fit special applications.
What are some applications for Peerless Ultra Soft Shot?
- deflashing non-ferrous die castings
- cleaning machined surfaces on steel or iron
- cleaning permanent molds in aluminum foundries
- removing scale from heat treated parts
- stripping coating from light metal stampings
- removing carbon build-up from exhaust valves
- removing mold material from investment casting
- refinishing aluminum automotive wheels
New applications for Peerless Ultra Soft Shot are being developed and we are anxious to discuss your specific needs. Please call Peerless Metal Powders & Abrasive: 313.841.5400.